Monday, November 29, 2010

Who Sails Your Ship?

I like to see different religious bumper stickers as I travel on the highway. It is interesting how many ways we can show our faith through a 12” x 4” printed sticker. I particularly like the one that says “Jesus is my Co-Pilot.” I have often wondered what Jesus would do as a co-pilot. Would he only take over when you need help? Or maybe it means that he is there when you need to take a break from steering the ship.
I’m sure that this sticker is meant to be a positive statement, but from my perspective, Jesus Christ is way more than a co-pilot. A co-pilot does not give you the prescription of how to live.
With Christ as the Pilot of my ship it has drawn me away from belief in ownership to one of stewardship. How can I believe that anything that I possess was brought to me by my power alone? How can I believe that anything in my possession will pass with me beyond the grave except that part that God holds? Ownership cannot exist except as God.
Stewardship is, however, God’s command. Christ speaks directly of stewardship at least 10 times in the Gospels. When Jesus refers to ownership he does so in the context of God as the owner. The Master lays it in front of us, we only need acknowledge the truth & live accordingly. Without the trappings of ownership, the desire for the things of man begin to fade. Jesus said it clearly in the Sermon on the Mount:
31 “So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:31-33
The Pilot of the ship I ride is Christ. He knows the waters well and he will never run aground. By the way, there is always a ticket waiting for each of us and through the Water and the Word we have been given permission to come aboard.

Joyous Determination
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment